Thursday, November 15, 2012

Is this any good for a home media server?

I am looking at an HP N40L Micro server running Windows Server 2012 starting with 2GB ram and a raid array with 4 x 1tb discs.It will host my movie collection and music and photos, to be played over my network on various devices including a Mac mini running XBMC, an iPad, and a PC. I'm on a relatively low budget, and HP are offering £100 cash back on these at the moment. Any feelings?
Added (1). All my media is in mp4 format specifically so I can stick it on the ipad if needed. I've been using airservervup til now to deal with the streaming side of things so hopefully that will continue to be sufficient. I can upgrade this server to 8gb ram (which I'm planning to do eventually) I may also use it for testing some hyper-v machines.
>>> Is this any good for a home media server?