Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Why does my home WiFi take so long to connect to any of my devices?

At work, the WiFi network connects to my windows laptop and Apple devices (iPad and Iphone 4s) really quickly.At home, my WiFi (ADSL2+, service provider: iinet.net.au, which is the same provider as our work internet provider) either takes forever to connect, or just won't connect at all. The only solution then appears to be to re-start the modem and try again. Usually all devices connect quicker after a modem re-start.It's most frustrating to have to restart the modem every now and then, especially since my wife may be busy on the internet, and she gets cut off during the restart.

My wife keeps her iPad (2) at home and on all the time, and it remains connected to the WiFi, and has almost never "lost" the network connection.

Any ideas welcomed.

I am going to try update the firmware on the modem, if there is a newer version available. The modem details are: "iinet Modem is a BELKIN F1PI242EGau".It has four network plugs and a USB for a shared hard drive, none of which I use. Permanently connected to the modem is my printer and iMac, although both can run wireless, I prefer them hard connected.
>>> Why does my home WiFi take so long to connect to any of my devices?