Thursday, June 13, 2013

Was he rude to ask for gift back?

About 5 years ago I met an 90 year old man living in assisted living.
I started taking him out for lunch and errands a couple of times a month when I would go to town ( I live about 25 miles out ).
Several other people also have provided him transportation and assistance.
About 2 months ago he decided to give 4 different people $500 gift cards to a computer store
( my self included ) then yesterday he called & asked for the gift card back.
He said he wanted to do something else with it.
( Everyone else had already picked up an iPad with their cards ).
Altho I didn't really need it, I felt it was a gift and rude to ask for it back.
As it was specific to the computer store, it can only be used there.
I did return the card, then he promptly asked me to drive him to several places.
I just do NOT feel like Ever being his taxi again !
Was he out of line or am I being too sensitive ?
Added (1). BBG - this was some of the cash he has in one of his brokerage accounts that he had forgotten about & the clerks asked what he wanted to do with it.
He lives in an upscale place and has multiple brokerage, savings and pension incomes.
He traveled the globe before entering assisted living and stayed at $200 to $300 a nite hotels 10 years ago.
Giving it to the people helping him for years was Totally his idea.
Tacky would be taking it from someone who can't pay their bills .

См. статью: Was he rude to ask for gift back?