Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Do you really believe rape is a form of psychopathy?

So many men claim rapists are wired differently and do not represent the general population of men. (I am talking about male rapists here, not female ones).

While I would love that to be true, I, am leaning towards the theory that, given the right circumstances, many men are capable of rape. Just as, given the right circumstances, even sane people are capable of murder.

The way I see it, instances of gang rape support my theory. Recently it came to light that a 16 year old was raped by 10 to 20 young men. We're they all psychopaths?

Or is this story not more indicative of a culture of exploitation rather than mental illness?
http://www.sinlung.com/2013/08/the-ghost-rapes-of-bolivia.html

Please do not think I am having a go at men specifically, because, as I said, human beings of both genders are capable of great evil if the circumstances are right.

The reason I am posting this is because I am worried that, by dismissing rapists as being mentally ill, we risk ignoring the factors that turn normal men (and women) into rapists, and so stop taking steps to fight the problem.

Please forgive errors, am, on iPad.
Added (1). EDS I should make it clear that I do not believe most men will go onto rape, I just think it happens too frequently to be the result of genuine mental illness alone.
Added (2). Eds @robot - am only not including female rapists in this scenario because I do not know much about the subject. For example, when was the last time you read about 20 women gang raping a boy? I know women do rape though, but I see few women on here blaming psychopathy for their crimes.Do you see?
Added (3). Eds - int20' yes I can see why that would be so. I am explaining this very badly. Sorry. And no I do not want to castrate anyone. I hope you can see past my clumsiness to see what I really mean.
Added (4). Eds - WWGSD - yes, I think you are correct.

См. статью: Do you really believe rape is a form of psychopathy?