Thursday, January 16, 2014

How to record my singing so it sounds good?

My band and I are going to be recording at a studio in a few weeks, we've preformed live lots of times and I've heard my voice recorded on iPhones and video cameras and it sounds good to me… But preparing for this recording session I've started recording myself on my iPad using a Shure mic and Roland duo-capture ex. Through headphones my voice sounds ok - not as good as it does in my head obviously because of the lack of harmonics, etc, but still pretty good. Now, when I play those recordings through my iPad's speakers, or even my high-end my Bose speaker system it sounds brutal. My voice sounds shaky on the edges of words, it sounds like I'm off-key on some notes, at times it sounds like I'm scared or on the verge of tears lol. I've done lots of research online and I understand why the recordings sound better through headphones, but if I play any song from my iTunes library through my iPad speakers or Bose system the vocalist still sounds great. Is that simply because they are a better singer than me and even through speakers they sound good, or is this the resut of a sound engineer balancing the EQ, etc?

I guess my main question is; right now if I was a third party I would not pay money to buy an album with the lead vocalist sounding like this. Is it possible in a studio to adjust the sound so it becomes something people want to hear?

Читать далее: How to record my singing so it sounds good?