Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Can I get my car back?

Long story short, my dad has been abusive for many years. Physically, mentally, verbally etc. Well last year when I left my old university, I purchased a car with my own money. However, my parents had it registered under their name, and their insurance even though I am under it.

Fast forward 10 months, I get in a bad car accident, the car is totaled and it's not my fault so the insurance sends us a check for a new one. So we get the new one. Fast forward 2 more months my dad and I get in a serious altercation. Actually he started beating me and I fought back, he had taken my car keys, my phone (that I paid for and pay for monthly), my ipad (also purchased myself), my laptop (that I paid them back for). I went to the police, the hospital (I was bruised up pretty bad and my finger was nearly broken) and my dad was arrested. And the police told me that because they haven't formally evicted me (and that takes a long time, especially since it's winter) I am free to go get my possessions at anytime (until they formally evict me) and I would obviously do this with a police presence.

I just want to know what I can do in regards to the car. I need a car to work and then eventually go back to school.
Thanks so much for the help!

Читать далее: Can I get my car back?