Tuesday, May 13, 2014

What's the best way to rip movies to a NAS for streaming via Chromecast?


I have a QNAP NAS with a disc unused, ready to hold all of my digitised media for streaming. Only problem is, I'm not sure of the best way to do it. Here's what I want to do:

- Store all media on the NAS. A HDD will be dedicated to media
- Store the media in as original form as possible (i.e. DVDs still with menus if possible)
- Be able to stream movies around the house via Chromecast, and music to hi-fi controllable via ipad/macbook/android phones (music less of an issue)

Please could people give me tips on

- What programs to use to rip (encrypted) DVDs, and what format to rip to
- What type of server to set my spare disc up as (if necessary)
- What to use to stream the ripped files to the chromecast

Thanks in advance all!

Read more: What's the best way to rip movies to a NAS for streaming via Chromecast?