Saturday, October 18, 2014

Is it true that American college students don't know anything outside the US?

I'm sorry to make judgement here. But to me, it seems American students tend to be more ignorance about the world outside US.
I'm a Chinese studying in the US. I have been in the States for 5 years now, and I have had 8 roommates. 4 of them are American, 2 of them are from Europe and 2 of them are from India. We would talk about our country and culture sometimes.
The Europeans and Indians can fully understand we have cultural difference, they at least have a vague concept of what China is like, and don't get surprised when I say some unique Chinese culture.
The other 4 Americans, though, don't have any idea what China is like. They think China is just a bigger version of North Korea, and asked if I have AC or washer back home. I pay some good 10 grands to study here, how come my family can't afford AC or washer? And they think all my electronics are bought in the States because they are very rare in China. They would ask if there is Starbucks or Walmart in China. Or they would ask me why Chinese products are such cheap crap, while they ignore the fact that iphone, ipad, imac and nearly all of the most advanced technology product they use are made in China. After some time I feel like most American college student don't know the world outside the US, or they just don't care.

Read more: Is it true that American college students don't know anything outside the US?