Saturday, May 2, 2015

Teacher filming in classroom?


I'm in high school & everyone in class is under 18. I go to school in Utah.

My teacher put on a movie and left for half the class, so the teacher across the hall kept checking on us. He came in & saw students sleeping, instead of waking them up, he filmed them on his personal iPad & left. He came in a 2nd time & took students phones away & made them step out of class to film them saying their names & that they got their phone taken. Everyone was questioning if it was okay. The 3rd time he came in me & the girl next to me were scratching the stickers off a broken plastic phone case someone had left because it was trash, we planned on just throwing it away. He told us to hand him the phone. We explained its just a case and it wasn't ours. He took it away anyway, that wasn't a big deal until he told us to come out in the hall to get filmed. I said I don't consent to filming, so instead he walked back over & filmed us in class. He asked our names & if it was appropriate to tell a teacher no, we gave him our names & I told him I thought my actions were appropriate, he questioned if it was appropriate again I just said "I guess not." So he would stop filming us. He told us he would be showing our teacher to see what he has to say. I don't think we should get in trouble for it, but I don't know. After class I told him I don't think filming students is okay. He said its legal. I wasn't going to argue about something I'm unsure about so I left. Was it okay? Who should I talk to?

Read more: Teacher filming in classroom?