Monday, November 16, 2015

Looking for a 19 inch 1280x1024 or a 20-21 inch 1600x1200 monitor?


So I'm looking for a new screen to replace my 17 inch 4:3
monitor that isn't one of those rectangular widescreens.
Unfortunately, you can no longer buy square or 4:3 monitors on
the high street anymore, so I'm searching the net for some.
Please don't answer this saying "just buy a widescreen" or "move
with the times" or whatever. If I just wanted a standard 1080p
hd monitor I could just pop down to Currys and have a look
there.

I'm asking for monitors of the above specifications, because
they are two of the tallest screens you can buy (even a 24 inch
16:9 screen isn't as tall as the ones mentioned in the title).

I spend a lot of my time internet browsing, reading documents
and using legacy applications such as Microsoft Office. An 16:9 hd monitor is useless for me, I've never used an application that benefits from such a large amount of horizontal pixels.
Added (1). Hstro - I have tried rotating my 21.5 inch, 16:9 monitor, but it just wasn't for me. The monitor felt so tall and thin. It was so tall I had to crane my neck to look up and down. Really, I've used a 19 inch 5x4 monitor before, and that felt very tall but also significantly wide enough. I like the square shape of 4x3 and 5x4. 16x9 just feels too short in landscape and too short in portrait.
Added (2). Don W - Yes but if I rotate it I find the monitor becomes so tall I have a stiff neck. Again, 4x3 or 5x4 is better in portrait as it will still maintain a fairly square shape, a bit like using an ipad in portrait. 4x3 is definitely better than 16x9 in portrait.

Read more: Looking for a 19 inch 1280x1024 or a 20-21 inch 1600x1200 monitor?