Monday, December 28, 2015

OEM vs after-market replacement screen for an iPad 2?


I badly cracked the screen (just the glass, nothing else) to my iPad. It is working fine, but I'm afraid I'll cut my fingers or something, or that something will shift and it will damage the LCD or whatever.

I can get a repair with after-market parts for much cheaper than a repair with original Apple parts. And I'm on rather a budget, so a cheaper repair is worth it if it's not significantly worse.

So, anyone know whether it's really worth getting OEM replacement screens for an iPad, or if the after-market ones generally do OK? Should I get a screen protector (like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Premium-9H-Tempered-Glass-Screen-Protector-Film-For-iPad-2-3-4-Mini-Air-/381453788112?var=&hash=item58d06ae3d0:m:mxxwd8y5VKnFXvrnN4GpTEg or whatever) if I go with the after-market screen? Any particular after-market screen I should steer clear of or towards? Any other advice?
Added (1). Note: if you can steer me towards a *particular* after-market screen that you'd recommend, one of the people I'm considering for the repairs will repair it with parts that the customer provides, so if there's one that's genuinely worth a little more than the $9 ones I'm seeing on ebay…

Read more: OEM vs after-market replacement screen for an iPad 2?