Thursday, December 10, 2015

Why do you like test cricket?


I was just watching highlights of the New Zealand v Sri Lanka game, day 1, on line. Something happened to me which I think shows why test cricket is far superior to any other sport as well as any other form of cricket.

Martin Guptill was 99*, another gold dust milestone awaits him. He caresses the ball through extra cover. The statues at both cover & mid off strike a pose as the ball dissects them on its enevitable way to the boundary.

In a bar, with my iPad & earphones in I embarrassingly bellowed, 'Shot!'. No T20 anger, no ODI urgency in the shot. Just the timing & elagance that can only be found in white clothing. That simple stroke of the willow encompasses why test cricket is so wonderful.

I'd concede the two extra runs if I could swap a coloured clothing slog for white clothing poetry. Thoughts?

Read more: Why do you like test cricket?