Sunday, January 10, 2016

I feel like a prisoner in my own home?


It all started during the summer holidays when I got into some online games on the ipad and downloaded on computer. Being Asian, their idea of a good summer holiday is to give me science textbooks and force me to play the piano. My dad is extremely adverse to me even touching my iPod because he believes I'm addicted to gaming, which by definition I am not. I had almost the best summer I could remember having, having made several friends through my online guild of interest I would not have found through school or otherwise. I knew I wanted to keep on talking to them, but as soon as year 10 started, they took away my iPad, to which I didn't complain, despite knowing the consequences to my friendships this would bring. I know what hard work is, I have ambition (Oxbridge). My parents' mistrust hurts a lot, because despite my grades, I can tell that they are insecure about my own self-control. I thrive upon being able to use the internet as a culture resource, and taking that away feels like I have my freedom stripped. I have lost all of my friends from my old guild, which I was kicked from due to inactivity. I used to use my iPod at night, and it was a very effecive stress reliever. I know that they mean well, but don't understand that I need my iPod at night as much as a mental health patient needs meds. Nothing makes me happy because I feel like what I want most is the ability to make my own choices and have them support them, and it's the one thing I can't have.

Read more: I feel like a prisoner in my own home?