Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Was this action too extreme?


I had a girl living with me as a roommate for about 2 months and one day I came home from work to find she had abruptly moved out with no notice.

The night before, I had let her use my tablet to watch some movies--I discovered she had taken it with her, along with two university books that was out on a table (each costing $100+) All calls placed to her cell phone went ignored and unreturned. After 3 days of having my calls ignored, I called the police and asked them to advise her that if she didn't get ahold of me about the items, I was going to assume that the removal of the items was deliberate, and I would escalate the situation and have her arrested for larceny.

The following day, her mother appeared with the iPad and books and apologized, stating that she had helped her moved out and thought that the iPad was hers since it was in her room, and assumed that the books belonged to her as well since she was also student studying the same subject.

However later on, I ran into a friend of hers that told me "You know, Stacy is really upset with you for calling the cops on her. You made her feel like a criminal for an honest mistake her mom made!"

Like… What was I supposed to do? I wanted my stuff back, and she was not returning my calls!

Read more: Was this action too extreme?