Thursday, June 22, 2017

How to Speed up transfer speeds over wifi!

I have re purposed an old laptop that i had and made it into a fully working home server. I have it directly plugged into my router via ethernet giving it 100mpbs due to an old network card. I stream movies, pictures and TV shows off of it to home theatres, pcs, ipads, and 4k tvs around the house. Wifi is definitely holding back performance. I can't stream 4k over wifi! When transferring files to my server it takes time as well. Over wifi my local connection speed is 144mbps and it is bottlenecking the transfer at 100mbps because of the old network card in the server. When i go ethernet i have a 1gbps local speed. Assuming i change the network card to a better one to support gigbit ethernet, will i be able to achieve gigabit speeds over wifi or will i have to stick with ethernet?

Read more: How to Speed up transfer speeds over wifi!