Saturday, September 30, 2017

What differences are there in a recording with a cheap mic vs a nicer mic?

a little backstory first. I record music on my ipad, i prefer the built in mic over direct with any instrument, be it acoustic/electric guitar, bass, etc… And the sound is surprisingly decent after a little EQ and appropriate compression. My mixes are clear, vibrant and punchy… So how much better would they be if I started recording on professional gear? Is there a sharpness you just can't achieve with an ipad mic? Is there more tone that can be captured/accented?

Essentially, what are the benefits of spending money on a traditional mic/setup over the convenience of recording on an ipad if my songs sound radio-ready as they are?

Read more: What differences are there in a recording with a cheap mic vs a nicer mic?