Wednesday, July 17, 2013

What can an iPad be used for (to justify the price)?

Most tablet users have a smartphone too, and I think it can do everything an iPad can.
I will list some features I am aware of, and please correct/complete my list.

1.Browsing the web - an iPad is quite a cumbersome device ( 300g for the mini and 500+ for iPad 3/4)
and although it may deliver a richer browsing experience, I think a smartphone is more comfortable to use.
2.Reading - books are lighter than it, also the reflective screen is annoying. A smartphone can do it better (except for books with pictures, but who reads that). Paper white readers are the device to get for readers in my opinion.
3. Playing games.iPads win here. Big screens are good for that.
4. Watching movies. This is a feature, but not sure how much you would use it, especially if you travel once or twice a year. Otherwise, use your home TV or your phone.
5.Taking photos. Are you going to carry your huge-sized "camera" to take photos? Smartphones can do just as good in a smaller package.

A conclusion: I considered tablet users are smartphone users too.
Besides gaming, I couldn't find why a tablet is better at anything than a smartphone or an eqally-priced 11-13 inch laptop. I can't justify the 400$ price for that. I may be crazy or old fashioned.
I'm not trying to hate the device, but to find out why would most people purchase one.It is just and iPod with a bigger screen, which, compared to a mini-laptop, has nothing to offer besides a little more advanced games and being always-on.
I am curious what others think.

См. статью: What can an iPad be used for (to justify the price)?