Thursday, March 13, 2014

How to handle rough children while baby sitting?

I have no idea what category to post this under but maybe someone can help me!

I'm 22. I babysit a 6 year old girl from next door when her parents want to go out with friends from 5:30 pm to 11:00/12:00 pm. I live at home with my parents, and we are usually in the living room.

She's tall for her age (can be mistaken for a 8-10 y/o) and a little "strong". She likes to play like boys and fight or wrestle when coloring, tv, and "simon says" isn't enough for her. Of course we do other things but the list is just so long I wouldn't want to bore you with the details.

Anyways, I try not to encourage her rough playing so I usually stand and brace myself. She grows frustrated when she cannot overpower me and tries harder in a way that seems like she is really trying to hurt me. I tell her how she needs to take things easy and that the way she is playing isn't nice because she can hurt me or someone else. She seems to "get it" but after about an hour she's ready to play roughly again as if I never lectured her.

I try to engage her imagination and attention to things that are productive like legos, old barbies that I keep in storage, drawing, coloring, and more. But she still has tendencies of wanting to play rough. She's a sweet kid, but I'm having a hard time trying to control her rough side. I don't want to overstep any boundaries and yelling is not the answer to everything. Lecturing her gets me an "i know already" attitude or a huffy type of attitude. She's quick to become bored when she is not moving around or playing really rough.

How do I control her? How do I handle her rough side? What ideas can you give me to keep her doing something a little more safe and quiet? She does bring an iPad with her and most times I don't want her to use it because what learning is there from Angry Birds, Temple Run, and Fruit Ninja? What interaction is there with other people if she's glued to apps that are useless like, Dumb Ways to Die? Maybe I should just throw on a movie and make her use her iPad? I don't know. I'm running out of ideas. When I first started watching her, movies and her iPad kept her calm and quiet and not rough.

Читать далее: How to handle rough children while baby sitting?