Sunday, May 18, 2014

Going to college - iPad Air or MacBook Air?

From what I've gathered recently, multitasking on the iPad could be available through an update in the near future.
I'll be going off to college in a few months, and I am going to buy a new device.

My "main" is a mid 2012 MacBook Pro (upgraded to 8GB RAM, 750GB HD, 2.9GHz Processor).

I don't really want to lug this around as it gets quite heavy after walking a while.

The workload won't be that much in college (my college is quite laid back - a few 800 word essays at most)

I'll also have a job as an English instructor so I want to keep that into consideration (maybe I can use the iPad for my class? I'm not so sure)

Since I already have a laptop, I'm leaning slightly towards the tablet, but I would like input from others.
I'll be going where public transportation is highly developed, and so I would be able to work on my assignments on the subway, or read through magazines/newspapers using 4G on my tablet, which is something I won't be able to do on a laptop (of course, there are the portable internet routers… But it would be awkward pulling out a laptop on a busy subway…)

If I do buy a tablet, I'm thinking of buying a bluetooth keyboard/case along with it. I'm sure some of you are thinking that if I'm willing to do that, then I might as well just buy a laptop with a keyboard built in…

As for the use, as mentioned above,
I'm looking to buy something so I can take light notes, light assignments, reading stuff on the go.

Read more: Going to college - iPad Air or MacBook Air?