Friday, July 11, 2014

How to deal with difficult customers?

I sell consumer electronics. I didn't build or design them. I can easily tell customers whether or not we have certain items in stock and how much we are sell the products for.
I run into trouble when customers start to ask me very detailed questions about the products. When I have tried to help the customer by attempting to read the box, the customer becomes angry saying "I don't need you to read what's on the box."
I have had some challenging customers.
One customer said "A friend told me that you could sell me a cable that will fix the problem I am having with my computer." So I asked him what kind of computer he owned. He said "a friend gave me my computer and I am not sure who makes it." I then attempted to paraphrase what he said to me "So, you think that I can sell you a cable that will fix the problem you are having with your computer, but you don't know what kind of computer you have." He looked at me clueless. I became nervous and started laughing. The situation seemed ridiculous to me.
"What kind of problem are you having with your computer?"
"I don't know," he said. "It's not working."
The customer then went to the Customer Service Manager, complaining that I was laughing at him.
Another customer asked me if certain applications that she needs to use would work on an Apple iPad. I tried to look on the box but there were no application details on the box. "Why are you looking at the box?" She asked me. "Don't you know?"
When I called a Apple store, she left.

Read more: How to deal with difficult customers?