Sunday, August 3, 2014

External Hard drive or SSD?

I own a 13 inch macbook pro retina 128gb. I want to buy an external hard drive. I want to put movies, photos, and just personal stuff on it. And use the computer itself for school. How do both work? Lets say I have a movie on the external hard drive. I plug the drive into my computer. Can I just watch it from there? Or do I have to copy it into my computer and then watch it, and when done copy it back to the external drive? Lets say im on a road trip. I take out my computer and external drive, and I want to pick from my library of movies on my external drive. Can I just plug in and watch, or do I have to copy it?Is the speed of SSD worth the extra money? Do SSD's crash less often? Portable SSD vs Portable hard drive? Im a full time student, not some crazy engineer, or video editor. I own a gopro. Yes I would like to do some amateur go pro editing, and to keep my gopro videos on the external drive. I would mostly have movies, photos, and music on their. If I have my library of movies, can I watch it from my macbook, and another PC?

I am looking at this hard drive: http://www.amazon.com/Passport-Ultra-Portable-External-Backup/dp/B00EAS86DQ/ref=cm_srch_res_rtr_1

Thank you for your opinion

Im just throwing this out there. But is there a device that can stream over lets say a hotspot or something of that nature. That if I have my external hard drive, I can stream a movie to an ipad. I doubt that exists, but if you know of one, please share.

Read more: External Hard drive or SSD?