Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Am I silly for overreacting to my tutor's monitoring method?

The other day, I was in class and had started Semester 2 for the year. My tutor, I had him for classes in Semester 1.

He is quite a friendly, cheery person, and always greets me when I had entered the classroom.

About 3 minutes before the class was scheduled to start (At 2.30pm), I switched on my iPad, plugged in my earphones, then decided to switch into Youtube to view some videos of people arguing on public transport - just your standard "guy takes cell phone footage of public argument" video.

After 10 seconds, I felt the tutor, who had been walking around the classroom, was approaching me stealthily. I looked up, and saw his eyebrows were raised but his eyes were fixated on me - it was not nasty or aggressive but he looked like he was going to enter my soul. I felt a strange pull in my stomach.

I asked him "has class started?" He then laughed and said: "No, not yet!"

I said: "Oh… You looked a bit suspicious, haha"

And he said: "Oh, we all have our methods" and laughed. Then he walked off.

Maybe I'm taking this too seriously. I never ever want to offend or disrespect anyone, even by accident if I can avoid it. And again, he wasn't nasty or intimidating - just acted like he was going to approach me wearily.

Read more: Am I silly for overreacting to my tutor's monitoring method?