Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Is it okay for a 15 year old to be online unsupervised?

When my daughter with Asperger's was around 10 years, her dad gave her a laptop. I was against it mostly because I was scared she would spend too much time on it. It didn't occur to me that online predators are very very common until two days later. I took away the laptop because I caught her sneaking and playing it in her room during midnight. She was socially immature didn't have any friends back then so she just played games. Now, at 15, she is asking if she is allowed to have an iPad, laptop, or phone inside her room. She also asked if her Internet access can be unsupervised because "but mom, ALL my friends are allowed!". She's outgrown her obsession over Monster High. Now, it's all about Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook. I wish I could give my daughter that freedom, but there's so many predators and inappropriate content out there. Yet she's been begging me because most kids have unsupervised access as young as toddler-aged up to teenage years.

Read more: Is it okay for a 15 year old to be online unsupervised?